Too Tired to Cook? - 2 Easy Recipes
Sometimes no matter how we manage our life there are times when the joy of slow cooking using freshly market produce is beyond us and we just need to get something on the table quickly.Here are two recipes to keep the "wolves at bay" while you work on the main meal or they can also work perfectly well as a delicious light lunch or dinner.These recipes use two staples in the freezer and pantry – one packet of frozen baby peas and one can chickpeas.
Green Pea Soup
- pack of frozen organic baby peas
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- chicken stock or organic chicken cube
- pine-nuts browned in a little butter
- Yogurt or thick cream
- In a fry-pan gently cook the onions and a few leaves fresh thyme in the oil until golden.
- In a saucepan bring 500 mls stock (or water with a stock cube) to the boil.
- Pour into the blender with the onions. Add in the packet of organic frozen baby peas straight from the freezer.
- Blend all together until it is fine puree.
- Pour into the saucepan and warm gently and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add milk or cream to taste but be careful not to bring it to the boil. More stock can be added if it is too thick.
- Garnish with lightly toasted pine-nuts. You may add a dollop of thick cream or yogurt.
- 1 can organic chickpeas
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ teas sea salt
- 150 ml hulled organic tahini
- 4 tbsp water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- olive oil
- blender or kitchen wizz
- Drain tin of chickpeas and rinse well. Pick out 6 whole chickpeas from the tin and save for the garish
- Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, salt, tahini, water in food processor.
- Blend to a creamy puree, Then steam the olive oil in while it its running
- Add more lemon juice or salt to taste.
- Spread onto a flat bowl, drizzle with oil,
- Sprinkle with paprika drop the 6 reserved chickpeas in the middle and drizzle with good quality olive oil.